Sperm DNA fragmentation testing is essential in current day fertility management because:
- Our current semen analysis testing is giving insufficient information about the real quality of the sperms.
- Sperm DNA damage testing has strong associations with every fertility check point. These include impaired fertilization, slow early embryo development, reduced implantation and miscarriage.
- The risk of unsuccessful Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) or In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) increased in case of high DNA fragmentation.
- The risk of birth defects could be elevated when intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is performed with sperm samples having high DNA fragmentation so, it has strong associations with miscarriage.
- Sperm DNA testing can explain ‘unexplained’ infertility.
- Sperm DNA fragmentation may vary considerably over time in a single individual.
- Causes: During the time of testicular spermatogenesis, sperm can be exposed to trauma of the testis or extremes of temperature. Injury to the testes or even an extremely hot bath that may increase the DNA Fragmentation.
- Treatment: The best way to reduce sperm DNA fragmentation is to eat fresh foods, particularly those containing antioxidants or vitamin C and E, and to stop smoking to eliminate the free radicals reactive oxygen species (ROS).
- More information : 01066642734.
- Sperm DNA Fragmentation test is done routinely in Metra laboratories.